Friday, September 18, 2009

Word of the Week: Fragment

Fragment.

A small part broken off or detached. An incomplete or isolated portion; a bit.

I love fragments. I love the stories they tell by what is missing from them.

I am delighted when I find a kindred spirit -- someone who is as enchanted with the bits and pieces as I am, and who celebrates them!

Fragments lovingly stitched together...

To create a piece that is more than a bit -- a bit more whole...

But, even still incomplete. A fragment. Still beautiful.

A small part broken off or detached. An incomplete or isolated portion; a bit.

No one except me would consider this (above) beautiful.

But, to me, this piece of me and my son -- his leftover umbilical cord, that fell off about five days after his birth -- is not only beautiful, it's one of my most priceless possessions.

It's proof; a remembrance of the time we spent together, just before we each became a fragment of the other.

For a list of more posts on Fragment, visit hostess Nathalie's blog!

11 comments :

Rolfe Bautista said...

You have such fun and beautiful things. I love your blog :D

barb cabot said...

I consider our friendship one of those mysteries, a fragment of the puzzle, which when placed together create something quite whole. you are a gem of a soul!

nathalie et cetera said...

you say "I love the stories they tell by what is missing from them." this is exactly how I feel about fragments. Great interpretation !

Joy said...

I like fragments of special and beautiful things too. :o)

Summer Gypsy said...

What beautiful words, Laurie! "To create a piece that is more than a bit...a bit more than whole." It really describes creating a life...We are more than a whole body...There is a soul within each of us. Your soul is so beautiful. I'm still enjoying your gifts from the vintage swap!
Hugs,
Marilyn

Kerry Hawkins said...

I love the top two photos, so cute and delicate

Anairam said...

A wonderful interpretation, Laurie. Yes, a fragment has power exactly because it is representative of a mystery - of what is missing. (PS Eeek, I find the last picture quite scary, probably because I am a nullipara ...)

Sarah's Creations said...

Hi Laurie!

I love your paper card.

Thank you for visiting my blog.

Serena said...

Very beautiful.

Micki said...

What beautiful sentiments and what gorgeous items!
Micki

Pretty Things said...

Oh I love the ballerina! I have a similar one but she's in pink (and she looks mildly pissed off about something or other).