Word of the Week: Fragment

Fragment. A small part broken off or detached. An incomplete or isolated portion; a bit.
I love fragments. I love the stories they tell by what is missing from them. I am delighted when I find a kindred spirit -- someone who is as enchanted with the bits and pieces as I am, and who celebrates them! Fragments lovingly stitched together... To create a piece that is more than a bit -- a bit more whole... But, even still incomplete. A fragment. Still beautiful.
A small part broken off or detached. An incomplete or isolated portion; a bit.
No one except me would consider this (above) beautiful. But, to me, this piece of me and my son -- his leftover umbilical cord, that fell off about five days after his birth -- is not only beautiful, it's one of my most priceless possessions. It's proof; a remembrance of the time we spent together, just before we each became a fragment of the other. 

Comments

Rolfe Bautista said…
You have such fun and beautiful things. I love your blog :D
barb cabot said…
I consider our friendship one of those mysteries, a fragment of the puzzle, which when placed together create something quite whole. you are a gem of a soul!
you say "I love the stories they tell by what is missing from them." this is exactly how I feel about fragments. Great interpretation !
Anonymous said…
I like fragments of special and beautiful things too. :o)
Summer Gypsy said…
What beautiful words, Laurie! "To create a piece that is more than a bit...a bit more than whole." It really describes creating a life...We are more than a whole body...There is a soul within each of us. Your soul is so beautiful. I'm still enjoying your gifts from the vintage swap!
Hugs,
Marilyn
I love the top two photos, so cute and delicate
Anairam said…
A wonderful interpretation, Laurie. Yes, a fragment has power exactly because it is representative of a mystery - of what is missing. (PS Eeek, I find the last picture quite scary, probably because I am a nullipara ...)
Sarah Of Sweden said…
Hi Laurie!

I love your paper card.

Thank you for visiting my blog.
Anonymous said…
Very beautiful.
Micki said…
What beautiful sentiments and what gorgeous items!
Micki
Pretty Things said…
Oh I love the ballerina! I have a similar one but she's in pink (and she looks mildly pissed off about something or other).

Popular posts from this blog

Enter to Win My Two (2) Giveaways for One World, One Heart!

A new year

One World, One Heart 2011