Trifles

As one can tell from my blog's name, I'm a big fan of showing off trifles on any surface that can make a shelf, like the top of my cabinets in the kitchen:

I took this photo to celebrate the McCoy pot in front, the green one in the middle, which was a gift from my mother-in-law when we were in St. Louis. It was on her shelf, I admired it, and she was happy to pass it along.

A few weeks later I happened upon a tea cup "cabinet" at a very good price. So, I was able to clear off a crowded shelf of my china cabinet and put it to good use:

That pink pottery piece on top is Coors.

I thought you might also like to see part of my bumper raspberry crop:

I cut the plants WAY back this year, but they must have liked it because we literally cannot keep up with the abundance!

I used some of them to make a summer trifle, with homemade vanilla pudding, toasted almonds, and real whipped cream:

(That's the trifle, our good friends who moved (sniffle) and my husband and I, toasting friend's retirement from the AF -- which is not a trifle.)

I decided that evening that I needed some prettier glass dessert plates if I was going to make trifles in the future. Luckily, I happened upon these at the thrift shop:

So, next time I'll be all set! I also found these that same day:

One can never have too many footed dishes, can one?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the colors in your pottery photo at the top Laurie. So pretty.
Christine said…
The shelves above your cabinet are amazing!!! One day I'll take a picture of mine but their not quite as nice. I have been finding things in thrift and antique stores and at garage sale for many years. But the 50s pink and turqouise ice cream maker that I didn't buy haunts me to this day!!!

Blessings,
Christine

ps send me some of those raspberries if you can't keep up with them. I love raspberries!!!
Summer Gypsy said…
I LOVE the teacup cabinet. I collect jadeite, so green is definitely one of my kitchen favorites. I love McCoy pottery. A well kept piece costs a mint in the antique shops around here. One can only hope that the thrift store will overlook a piece now and then and underprice it~!!!
Love it when they do that, but they are getting smarter!!
You have a great weekend, Laurie!!!
Hugs,
Marilyn
2 Raven Chicks said…
That tea cup cabinet is wonderful! I love the way you've put it together!

Oooh - raspberries are so good - we have a lot of wild ones near us and I love to pick them every summer!

Popular posts from this blog

Enter to Win My Two (2) Giveaways for One World, One Heart!

One World, One Heart 2011

True Victorian style: black glass buttons