The things you buy at auctions

As you may remember, I have been trying my hand at auctions lately.  While I enjoy the lower prices and the excitement of bidding, there is a downside: you often end up with things you really didn't want.  This is because they were in the same box with the thing you did want.

Usually, in fact, I will bid on a box lot and end up with the one wanted item along with a dozen unwanted items.  I still got a great deal for that one item...but I have to take the rest of it home anyway.
Case in point: I really wanted this beautiful beaded purse -- all shiny pearls,
so chic and in amazing, not-one-pearl-missing condition!
But, it came in a box with these pheasants.
Now, there was also this cool, very old hat thing in the box, which I can still sell.
But...what am I going to do with those pheasants?
And this old camera?  Now, granted, it is a cool old piece.
But, I know nothing about cameras like this.
And I'm not really eager to educate myself right now.
Here's another example: a VERY old covered box, about the size of a bar of soap.
It is aged velvet over wood, with fantastic old bouillon trim
and a beautiful porcelain cover.  But, it came with...
him.  Also very old, made of wood.
 And rather creepy.
As well as this kitschy musical souvenir from Lourdres.
It plays -- what else? -- Ave Maria.
Edit: Ben was excited about getting a Thinker sculpture; he's having fun with it!
The Stuff You End Up With is piling up much more quickly than The Stuff I Wanted --
alarmingly so!  What's a girl to do?

Comments

HI! I'm Tabitha said…
I know what you mean. sometimes box lots can be fabulous and sometimes they can be a big miss. I LUV auctions you can find some amazing things. My favorite boxes are the ones that sell for a buck...
hugs
Linda Sue said…
Darling girl- all of those "do not want" things are way cool! Child of Prague will sell in a heart beat The pheasants also- just take interesting shots of all of it and poof gone!It's all really awesome stuff- very ETsy-ish.The camera is a great prop!
Jingle said…
Okay, I think the camera would have been MY reason for wanting that box! I really love that! The pheasants have a certain cool quality about them. I might paint them with chalkboard paint to make them more modern.
I'm with Jingle I would have wanted that camera for sure! It would look so cool in my display of vintage cameras! I think the religious items will sell well on Etsy as there is a market for them. The pheasants are pretty cool really! All in All not a bad box. Donate what you don't want and don't think you can sell!
I love the camera! I see some Halloween potential for the one figurine with the crown. Some black paint, a few additions. There are possibilities!
Tami Hacker said…
The velvet covered wooden box is charming!

The pheasants would be great in a a Thanksgiving setting.

If the items don't sell you can always donate them to your local thrift store.
Pallas said…
The old camera is very cool, and would make a nice decorator item. The wooden statue is "Infant Jesus of Prague". The purse is stunning. Yes, auctions are very fun indeed.
I have to say I love the pheasants. I would use them in the a holidays. The creepy little king thing, I like him too! I love it all!

Amber
Anonymous said…
My grandparents had a set of those pheasants. I remember them as a child. Grandma got them with her S&H Green Stamps (they lived in Illinois). The things you remember....

Popular posts from this blog

Enter to Win My Two (2) Giveaways for One World, One Heart!

One World, One Heart 2011

True Victorian style: black glass buttons