Grandma's Attic Matchbox Swap

I see that my Grandma's Attic Matchbox Swap has been delivered, so I'm going to show you all the goodies I sent:
The theme of the swap inspired me to create a "humpback" for the matchbox to make it look like a trunk or chest.  I built it up with some thin, lightweight stuff that I think is supposed to be used in your house gutters (!), then covered it all with vintage wallpaper in a soft, aqua-y blue.  I added a little jewelry box lock.
Here's a view from the back; I put Dresden paper pieces on to imitate hinges.  I decorated all around it with strips of a second vintage, sculptured wallpaper, and some braided trim to mimic the trunk's lid.
I used the same sculptured wallpaper to decorate the sides of the trunk, and was a bit nervous when I'd filled it and they looked a little wonky where I'd built up the lid.  My partner does this really exacting, perfectly geometrically correct paper art -- and so I hope she likes the not-so-perfect as well!
On top, I layered a piece of vintage crochet lace with vintage millinery netting, tulle, roses and rosebuds, a piece of tattered vintage bling, and organza ribbon, which was the only "new" thing on there.
Here's a glimpse of all the goodies inside.  My partner, Lorraine, said she liked rhinestone buttons, lace, pretty paper ephemera, and the whites, pinks, and aquas.
 I was really glad she specified "pretty" ephemera, because so much that is lovely is not necessarily pretty when it comes to old paper, do you know what I mean?  Here you can see the way I lined the bottom of the matchbox with old paper, and a bag of pretty vintage wallpaper pieces I tucked in there.
Pretty paper ephemera -- almost all antique.
Dresden and antique scrap, plus an old glassine stamp envelope
Lace, ribbon, embellishments and bling...
a little packet of paper ephemera that didn't fit into the matchbox...and some vintage millinery flowers that did...
and of course, beautiful buttons!
I haven't heard yet -- but I am hoping she loved it!

In other news...I'm getting ready to tell you about a fun new venture I'm beginning.  Stay tuned!

Comments

Tami Hacker said…
Hi Laurie,

Your grandma's attic trunk is adorable... clever idea giving the matchbox a domed trunk lid. You are so talented.

Eagerly awaiting your new adventure announcement.

Hugs, Tami
LuLu Kellogg said…
Laurie, this is so pretty! Great job! I can't wait to hear what you are going to be up to!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo
Anonymous said…
Laurie, this is so beautiful and you filled it with so many stunning items it is indeed a treasure box! Have a beautiful weekend my sweet friend.
Dee in N.H. said…
Oh, she must have loved it! All that in a beautiful box!
Oooo the buttons! You really got my attention at the buttons.
Suz said…
Laurie,
You did a wonderful job. Like the tags, these are getting more and more fantastic. Now here is my big WAAAAH! How did I miss is? Was this from Heather of Speckled Eggs???
Big hugs,
Suz
What a wonderful trunk you lovingly created...it must be magical to find something this wonderful when a swap package is opened!
Tammy said…
What a beautiful trunk! Your swap partner has to love it with all the goodies inside!
Anonymous said…
Oooh! I want to play! This is gorgeous, Laurie.

Do you have an upcoming swap planned for the Shelf?

Popular posts from this blog

Enter to Win My Two (2) Giveaways for One World, One Heart!

One World, One Heart 2011

True Victorian style: black glass buttons