My Friend and I Are Apart

About 23 years ago a friend gave me a card I've always remembered. It had a turtle on it.

Maybe it was two turtles.

Or a turtle and bird.

No really, I do remember it -- at least the words!:

One animal said to the other: "What's wrong?" And the the turtle said, "I'm sad because my friend and I are apart." Then you opened it, and inside the first animal asked, "A part of what?"

I'm thinking that today because yesterday morning my close friend Jenni and her family moved away. To Oklahoma. It hurts so much, I can hardly stand it. I never expected to feel this loss as keenly as I do. My keyboard is wet with tears.

I know they're not really gone, just away.

I know we'll see each other again, and maybe even as soon as October.

But...I won't be able to drive the five minutes to her house and find the coffee on and my cup ready.

I won't hear the sound of our sons typing scripts and making movies together, or singing karaoke, or playing civil war, as they've been doing almost nonstop for the last several months.


And I won't be able to jump in the car with her and the kids and go to the pool, or to the store, or on an adventure.

It's been a long, long time since I've had a friend like Jenni, and there was so much more to do!

We got very close while her husband Joe was deployed to Iraq; she was strong and brave in his absence, and I admire her fiercely for that.

Joe is now safely home and their beautiful family is once more complete. Now they're off to follow their dreams, and I'm very happy for them!

But I'm very sad for us.

Comments

I'm so very sorry you have to go through this, Laurie. Few things in life will be as painful...I can still feel the hurt of my best friend Wanda moving to Arizona from Michigan many (many!) years ago. We did everything together with our families and just the two of us. Our children were the sames ages and we had family dinners. We both loved books and participated in community theater. We went to antique auctions together and stood in the rain to the bitter ends. It took a very long time to move on for me. We kept in touch all those years and finally, in 2006, reunited in person for the first time. Though many years had passed, our friendship had not changed one bit. Still kindred spirits! I'm sure you and your friend will see each other sooner than we did and it will be wonderful!
I'm sorry to hear that your good friend has moved away from you. Friends are so very important. Stay in touch with her. The friendship doesn't end because she's far away.
Spotted Sparrow said…
I know it's not the same thing, but your online friends are here for you. :)

You guys should use Skype if you don't already. It's a great way to stay in touch over long distances.
Linda Sue said…
Apart- "A Part of What" - Great!
said…
Oh I'm sad for you Laurie. ((hugs))
Micki said…
She must have been a very special friend.
Hopefully, you will keep in touch by email or Skype.
Micki
Sandra said…
I know this must be very hard for you, Laurie. Just try and stay in touch with each other, and hopefully you won't have to wait too long to visit each other. By the way, I love the last picture of the two of you.

Hugs

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth