A writing inspiration book

I was reading Somerset Studio recently and saw a book that an artist made for times she needed creative inspiration.  It was so pretty that it totally inspired me to make one for myself.
I really need some writing encouragement these days.  I have a selection of favorite quotes about writing that are meaningful to me, so I started there.
I printed some of them out for my own writing inspiration journal.  Then, using a base of scrap booking paper and lots of paper ephemera, I collaged a bunch of pages for the quotes.
I used paint, gesso, and stamps and then sealed it all with Decoupage.  I worked really quickly.
The pages aren't real refined, but...
they really do the trick for me!
I've always loved that W. Somerset Maugham quote; I used to have it printed on my business cards!  On another page, I hand wrote one of my favorite quotes, by Unknown:
Reading about writing is not writing;
talking about writing is not writing;
thinking about writing is not writing...
only writing is writing.
Of course, since I quote Capote I had to give a nod to Audrey as well.
I also have quotes by Hemingway...
Allende...
Goldberg...
and other things that always inspire me, like pretty little kittens...
and Austen.
with lots of birds -- plus, a little nod to my favorite writer on writing, Anne Lamott:
I think this is one of my favorite projects I've made lately.  Maybe that's because I dreamed it and then just did it.  Also: it was just for me, and just what I needed.

Comments

Unknown said…
You may have done it quick but I really like it! I also like that you mixed all of your favorites. Vintage and some retro, birds and some frills. Great book! Now I want one!
Kathy said…
Oh Laurie, I love this!! You know I have a quote book of those special words that I need to save and read over and over. Well done!!
Janet Ghio said…
so pretty-what a great book
Tami Hacker said…
Beautiful and soulful!
Your art always inspires me!
Anonymous said…
So heartfelt and inspirational. I do believe I need to make me one of these books! Thanks Laurie they're great.
autena said…
Amazing! What a great project and so creative!
Lani Robertson said…
Love it! I especially love the memo page! :)
I think it is absolutely gorgeous! I wish I could just throw something together like that. Just beautiful!

I came across this quote recently that really spoke to me:

"I take notes when inspiration strikes ... you've got to write it down or the universe will give it to someone who will."

Have a great day! Tammy
Linda said…
i think this might be your best one yet! and you even managed to work in Holly and Cat. fantastic book.
HI! I'm Tabitha said…
Laurie you journal is amazing!!!! I am trying to decide if i wan to continue scrapbooking my photos or just start journals for each kid! hugs

Popular posts from this blog

Enter to Win My Two (2) Giveaways for One World, One Heart!

One World, One Heart 2011

True Victorian style: black glass buttons