Summer days and Old Glory

It's been a lovely first week of summer here in Colorado.  Sunshine every day, and warm temps.  Bright mornings.  I've become reacquainted with the swimming pool, sleeping in, and flip flops.

I went to another estate sale the other day, which was a bust as far as fun, crafty stuff.  I did buy a card table with 3 matching chairs, which will come in very handy.  (Can you believe I've never owned a card table before?)


See this flag?  Notice how it's a bit tattered?  Well, at that estate sale, I noticed it in the corner near the door, attached to a rusty pole.  The bottom of the flag was pretty chewed up and torn.  So, I mentioned to the homeowner that my son's Scout Troop does a flag retirement ceremony every year on the 4th of July and I'd be happy to take it there and let him retire it.

The man was very pleased and said "Yes, thank you" right away.  When we were leaving, he asked me again to thank my son for him.  As an afterthought, I went back and asked him to take it off of the pole for me, which required some tools.  After he did, his young grandson brought the flag over to me in a little crumpled ball.  I couldn't stand to see it that way, so I asked him if he knew how to fold the flag.  He said he did (but he really didn't.)  So my friend and I showed him how, and we all did it together.

When we were leaving, the boy thanked me, too.  He said, "Thank you for the honor of taking the flag.  It's important because my granddaddy brought it home from Vietnam."  I got goosebumps.  Did you?

Comments

Kathleen J. said…
Goosebumps here too. I almost think the flag belongs in a case with a label of its history but I guess the family chose to retire it and I am sure the Scouts do that with great respect.
Sherrie said…
Good for you. I would have done the same. The flag is meant to be honored as it waves and as it is being retired. It wasn't goosebumps I felt, but rather a tear. Thank you for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth