Novel Progress


I just made the mistake of looking at the NaNoWriMo website and I saw that there are only 9 more days and some hours until I have to be at 50,000 words. As of this moment, I'm on track with more than 33,000 words but still means I need to get 17,000 or so in the next 9 days. This makes me feel a bit panicked -- especially with the holiday coming up, and my son being off school all next week...

However, within the last few days, I've become very pleased with the plot and the story overall. I never expected this to happen; rather, I was approaching the month of writing as an exercise of sorts. Imagine my surprise when the novel fleshed itself out and took on depth! I truly think this rough draft is going to amount to something special. This makes me very, very happy.

And those crazy things that writers talk about happening that sound pretty unbelievable? Well, I've had some of that, too. One example: I'm telling the story from the point of view of three people, and I'm switching between them as I move the plot forward. Well, as of a couple of days ago one of my minor characters has decided that her voice needs to be heard in first person, too. I didn't agree and ignored her for a while, but she's persistent. So I'm going to add her viewpoint, and maybe another person, as well. This is always good for the word count, too.

My novel still has no title, though, and usually by now one has surfaced. So I'm on the lookout for that as well.

I'll surely be around in the next 9 days but probably less than usual, so please bear with me until I finish this book!

Comments

Spotted Sparrow said…
Happy writing! Enjoy yourself and don't worry about us. We'll be here when you're done. :)
Shelby said…
I've written and met the max of 50,000 words.

HOWEVER, unlike you, I really don't have a plot. Strange. I have a LOT of re-writing to do.

It just looks like words on a page. I printed it all out this week and have started making hand written notes. I'm thinking of getting the scissors out and cutting out my favorite sentences and actually pasting/taping them together to help me "see" where my mind was going at one time.

It's great fun actually. The creative process.

Good luck with yours!
You are really "cooking" Laurie!!! Wow! Many words and you are getting it done and loving it! Fabulous! I've experienced those characters taking on lives of their own and directing my stories...well, I guess you just have to let them have their say! GOOD FOR YOU!!! Thanks for sharing and have a Happy Thanksgiving all week long! Hugs, Coralie
Micki said…
Good luck with your writing, and it sounds like quite a challenge!
Micki
You'll get there, sounds like a lot of progress!
Sandra said…
Laure, You amaze me, all that you do and still manage to keep up with writing this novel. I know you will do it. I do hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth