Making Mosaics


One of my favorite things is making decorating found objects with broken china to make mosaics. I have a rule: I'll only break a beautiful plate if it is already chipped.


I've managed to amass quite a collection of pieces of broken antique and vintage plates!

My favorite thing to mosaic is silver platters; my second favorite thing to decorate is birdhouses. I use regular tile adhesive and grout, available from Lowe's home improvement stores. I seal it with grout sealer I bought at Hobby Lobby.

Here are some of my creations so far!


I gifted this platter to my dear great aunt for Christmas this year! I purchased the focal tile (the large round one in the middle) from someone on eBay last year.


This project began with an old chair someone else stenciled. I added a bird house, a nest, more painted accents, some rusty hardware and, of course, the china mosaic! It sits on my front porch in warm weather, and I keep a geranium in the pot (pictured are fake flowers.)


This little wooden 'basket' is mosaic'd on both side panels (only one is seen here); I loved using the coral, orange and green shades of one china pattern and filling it with the buff-colored grout. I left the wood as shabby as it was when it came to me. It makes a great holder for anything; ideally, a tall, glass-encased candle.



This little caddy was inspired by my blue and white, shabby chic bedroom and master bath decor!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth