I've been wanting to make coffee filter flowers forever. The other day when I took this photo I decided to make it happen!
It took me a few days, but I bought some coffee filters and spent a quick few minutes dyeing them in my kitchen sink. I used these four colors of paint and lots of water on plain, bright white coffee filters.
I did all 200 that were in the package. I did about 40 at a time, and after each pile, I added more paint to darken the next batch.
I set them outside in piles to dry. That worked for about 30 minutes, until the wind came up and I had to move them inside! I ended up having to let them dry overnight, but that was fine because I ran out to time to continue working on them the first day, anyway.
The next time I had a chance to work on the wreath, I began making flowers. Fist I used a thin quilting tape, but I found it really hard to work with (it's old, so maybe it was brittle...) so I switched to regular masking tape.
This is a good thing to do with an adult beverage; I'm just sayin'. Here: the watermelon margaritas we made from fresh watermelon!
There were no wreath forms to be found locally, so I just grabbed a grapevine wreath I had around the house and covered it with burlap strips.