A button grab bag from the thrift store

Kathy's always showing fun vintage button purchases on her blog, and it has really whet my appetite for finding a button grab bag of my own!
The other day I found this one -- it sure does fit the bill, huh?  Like most, it contains buttons and an odd assortment of other items one might find in a button box, sewing drawer, or even a junk drawer.  The most unusual item in this particular pile was, I think, the music holder that attaches to an instrument so it can be played in a marching band.  (It's buried so I'm not sure if you can actually see it in the above photo.)
Most of the buttons were just common plastic sewing buttons, BUT I was excited to find some great vintage ones here and there -- including this pile of realistics: white stars, clear glass stars, red horseshoes...
keys, tea pots, padlocks; etc.  Do you see the little elephant in front of the blue buttons?  It's glass!  The one above him is a butterfly -- also glass.
the pink ones in the bundle and the round blue one are also glass (as are those stars); the blue ducks are cute, aren't they?
More glass, and some pretty pink sparkly buttons.
There were quite a few carded buttons in the lot but my favorite is the torn one with the Cinderella girl on it!  At first I thought she was a fairy but I think she's just wearing a big bow in her hair.
I love the ephemera that comes in these bundles, like the paper measuring tape that says, "Here's one for good measure" (it's from a mens slacks manufacturer); also that green metal Singer seam ripper thing is fun!  ~Sigh~ this has satisfied my button treasure hunting urges for a while, I think!

Comments

Kathy said…
Wowza, what a great score. I love all those realistics. A glass elephant and glass stars and those teapots and horseshoes are FAB!! Isn't it funny how a real button box can look like it's not much and then you find all kinds of treasure when you dig in. I agreen about all the other stuff, too. it tells a story. I do NOT agree that a good button find sasities my craving, it just makes me want more - LOL! Thanks for the shout-out, too!
I love buttons. I think they are like tiny little treasures. Each one cuter and more interesting than the next. Nice collection.

Danielle
Tami Hacker said…
You certainly did find a great button grab bag! The horseshoes look like Bakelite - nice! The teapots are Celluloid, probably from the Marion Weber realistic sets - super nice! Also love the stars and animals.

Woohoo for Laurie!
Maggie said…
Nice score, Laurie! It is soooo much fun to dig through a big bag of old sewing stuff, and seeing what fun stuff lurks therein. The music holder thingee looks like it went on a clarinet back in the day. Love all of your finds :-) And yes, Kathy's button finds always inspire me, too!
Unknown said…
That was a good bag! I only ever find old brown and black stinky boring buttons! Love the lock shaped ones and all the glass!
Love your little treasures. It's always so much fun going through a new stash of buttons. The horseshoe buttons are my favorite.
Unknown said…
What a score. I love the little keys and locks. And I have an obsession with measuring tapes and rulers. Way to go.
Anonymous said…
awesome finds! I love those kind of grab bags
maggie said…
Love your grab bag. What great treasures.. Love the elephant button.
Lucky find!
Cheers
maggie
autena said…
I always love glass buttons, but those horseshoes are adorable!

Popular posts from this blog

Enter to Win My Two (2) Giveaways for One World, One Heart!

One World, One Heart 2011

True Victorian style: black glass buttons