The things you find in thrift shops

Wanted to show you some more of the thrift store fun I've been having while unemployed:
In the photo above there are shallow tin canisters that I have had fun decorating; I'm saving them for a future special (unknown) project, or as gift boxes.  There's also a Yahtzee score pad, which I think makes great ephemera, a papier maiche angel, a wedding topper, and a lampshade frame.  The Alice in Wonderland print has already sold in my shop, and the sweet silhouette one is still here because I couldn't list it, I love it too much!
What's not to love?  The details -- like the cat being tempted by the parasol tassel, and the mouse in the clock...!
This set of hand carved mid century bookends has been popular in the shop (lots of favorites) but so far no takers!
Sometimes I buy stuff I have to research and am then surprised, like when I realized the pearls in this fancy souvenir ashtray are probably genuine!  It is also in my shop.
I really love the graphic on this package for an ironing board cover!
A few random purchases: vintage unused Charlie Chaplin card by Hallmark...
and a unique mason jar wine cork...what should I fill it with?  My first thought was, buttons.
 I thought this pin was kind of unusual...
and, I picked up this package of tea filters because I thought they'd make good ephemera for pockets in scrapbooks!  This is how my mind works!
I adore the expression on the ironic tin, don't you?  Some cute flamingo light covers, as well as a pair of vintage orange glass beaded clip on earrings!
My local auction house has begun selling stuff "cash and carry"; usually, a box of their cast-offs is $1-2.  I just loved these vintage dishes and, even though I didn't need them, I got them anyway because they were in a box with a vintage quilt that I wanted.  Isn't the pattern so cheerful and kitschy?!
More textiles...in the upper left corner is an oval-shaped needlepoint pillow.  The pillow caught my eye because of the strange little bird that is worked into the pattern; do you see it?:
The bird is so out of proportion...I keep wondering if I'm seeing a bird but it's really a flower?
I really liked the era and the detail of this Biblical sampler; I'm keeping it.
Have you found anything good lately?  It's the beginning of estate sale and yard sale season, so I expect to hear about some really fabulous finds this summer!

Oh, and my unemployment is coming to an end -- tomorrow I start a part time job.  Sigh.

Comments

Shirlee Fassell said…
Great finds! Love the silhouette I used to collect them but only if they included an animal!
Linda said…
Wow, that cat pin is unique. We used to call bull rushes "cat tails". Wonder if there's any connection? I see a bird also on that needlepoint - good eyes you have Laurie.

And good wishes on the part time job, hopefully it comes with some good rewards.

Great bundle of treasures.

Hugs, Linda.
Miss Iowa said…
My mom and I had a successful trip to Goodwill last week. We went looking for popsicle molds, and we had our choice of 3 sets! I also found a real Bundt (brand) pan and a vintage square relish dish that is the perfect size for these small potlucks I go to. My biggest purchase was a Winsor Newton sketching and drawing kit that included a tabletop easel, graphite pencils, oil pastels, chalk pastels, blending stumps and a small instruction book. Oh, and a small wooden jointed mannequin! Based on the list of supplies on the box, a few items were missing and some of the pastels had been used, but for $ 4.88 I think I got a good deal. The easel alone would cost more than that if purchased new. I normally don't have that kind of luck at Goodwill, but my mom is a lucky charm when it comes to thrifting.
Lilbitbrit said…
I think that you finds are lovely and I think you are so creative in what you do with them. We have a wonderful yard sale twice a year at our NSH State Hospital, and I found all sort of goodies, which I blogged about.
Christine
Lilbitbrit

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

Flagler College in St. Augustine: the Tiffany connection