Peace on earth

I got so much enjoyment out of creating this altered globe; it was a project I'd been planning to do for years, and the globe I'd bought at a thrift store for it almost didn't survive my great craft room clean-out this summer!  At the last minute I grabbed it back from the discard pile, and now I'm happy I did.
As I told you in my last post, I started by covering the entire globe with vintage dictionary pages.  Over those, I glued strips of sheet music here and there; then I added pieces of vintage French ledger pages and some of my favorite wallpapers.
I worked on this over several evenings, after dinner.  In between, I searched my craft room for ephemera to add; I didn't want to use clip art or pictures that would become a focal point on the globe, but instead bits and pieces to create one collaged background -- neutral, but with pops of color.
I made a point to put on some inspiring words.


And I used some of my favorite scraps -- some of which I've held on to for years!  Like this bird motif...
Blue Chip stamps that my mother used to save...
canceled German stamps...
part of a bookplate...
pages from several editions one of my favorite books...

and motifs I love, like feathers and keys.
I also added fancy cigar and cologne labels -- all vintage -- and anything else made of paper that struck my fancy.
As I added layers, the paper crinkled and wrinkled, which didn't bother me at all.  I didn't even try to get it completely smooth.
Over all of the paper I did some stamping in black and brown inks, and dabbed on shiny gold paint.
Just before covering it all with gel medium, I added the word PEACE twice.
I looked high and low for these letters, literally spending at least 20 minutes combing the aisles at Hobby Lobby to find just what I'd envisioned.  They were hiding, but I finally found them:
Here's what the package looks like in case you're interested; I bought a load of fun craft supplies that day, and, I used a gift card that was a Christmas surprise from a dear creative soul, which made it all the more special!
Globes are hard to photograph well -- but I did my best, and, you get the idea!






Comments

How lovely - a brilliant idea!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger
A very special project! Love it!
Pallas said…
I love, love, love your altered globe. It turned out spectacular! Thanks for sharing all the pictures; I'm enjoying it.
Linda Sue said…
LOVE what you have done to the whole world! Hobby lobby is from satan so I refuse to give them any business but I do love the letters! Very cool!
I love this idea! I have a globe sitting out in my garage collecting dust. Thanks for the inspiration, Laurie. Happy 2016 to you.
Createology said…
How very thankful you saved this World Globe and created your very own World of Wonder and Inspiration and Memories of your Creative Bliss. 2016 will be an amazing year...
Linda said…
Golly Gee.....love it!
Unknown said…
Wow....what a beautiful project. .....creating a peaceful world...so lovely and makes me want to make one too!
I always read your blog for inspiration and really like all of your work.
Most Sincerely, Nancy Thompson
Kathy said…
Perfect in every way!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth