New again

So, here I am at my new job.  I work inside the back area of a library, and it's a really sunny, spacious office.  As you can see, they told me to "make the space my own" so I brought in some of my art and a family photo (behind me.)  I'll probably decorate more later, too.
I think I'm going to be happy there.  I work every morning and get to leave at noon.  At my last job at the call center, I didn't go in to work until mid-afternoon and I really liked that schedule.  The last couple of weeks I find I'm having a hard time adjusting back to early morning wakings.  Especially since just this week, there was snow on Pikes Peak and, after Labor Day, a chill in the air in the mornings which makes me very sad; it also make me want to roll over and hide under the blankets when my alarm goes off.
But --  once I'm at work I do enjoy how quickly the morning goes and then I'm off the rest of the day!  Look at this friendly group of ladies I work with!  The one in the pink to my right is the gal I'm replacing me; she stayed on for a week to train me but then Tuesday was her last day so we took her to lunch.  I'm really going to miss her!  Big shoes to fill.  Everyone at work is so very nice.
I took this photo of pink birds flying between two buildings in downtown Colorado Springs on Labor Day, when Dennis and I went out to lunch and to see a movie.  It reminds me of how there are many forces at work in this city, striving to showcase the arts.  This is never more obvious than at the libraries, where so many community and arts activities are offered!  Just last Friday I attended a two-hour class on songwriting, taught by The Reminders.  It was so inspiring and interesting -- it really got my writing juices flowing.  Since I'm now there at the "makers" library every day, I don't doubt I'll be getting more involved with all of it in the future months.  Happy thought.
Today is an exception: I'm working all afternoon instead of the morning.  It's chilly out again, and I slept in until almost 8 am.  Dennis is right now flying home from Montana, where he's been working since Tuesday.  He's working so much lately.  It will be nice to regroup.  Tomorrow I'm taking my car in to hopefully get rid of that awful noise it's been making, and then we will be celebrating a wedding with some new friends Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.  In between all that, I'm hoping to finish up on four globes I've been working on!  Two are normal sized, and two are tiny. 
Then I've got to get working on Christmas tart tin ornaments and some other ideas I have -- and I have a load of vintage Christmas to list in my shop.  I'm contemplating a weekend vintage market in November -- right now I'm wait-listed for a booth.
When we're in between seasons and there's a lot of change going on in my life, my body wants to slow down, relax, maybe even, if I'm honest with myself, hide.  My flip-flopped new schedule has me too fatigued mid afternoon to do much of anything and I find if I sit down to rest, I take a nap.  Then it's easy to lose momentum and get nothing done the rest of the day.  I can feel myself cycling into depression.  I know I'm not the only one fighting this battle!  I also know I have to nip it in the bud before succumbing to it.  I have long planned to join a new gym this fall, which is convenient with my new job and should be a no-brainer -- but I have not been able to get my butt over there to sign up.  I'm not exercising at home either, even though all my bones and muscles seem healed now after physical therapy.  So: the gym is my goal for September.  What is yours?

Comments

Pallas said…
Congrats on your new job, and getting to work with a nice group of people. It sounds perfect for you, and getting to decorate your office as you please is great too.
It was lovely, catching up with you, your new job and co-workers. The art is beautiful and glad you're able to decorate your office. Best of success to you!
Linda Sue said…
Oh Laurie I know the feeling well, winter is long and hard and dark...Your creations, however, bring the light in. I love that you have a new job and that your space is so Laurie wonderful. Yay, you!
Linda said…
How wonderful for you that you have your own sunny space to work in, and to decorate as you see fit. My new goal is to take on a bit more volunteer work and, of course, to get more creating and crafting done.

Must say, you sound so up-beat and have a great sunny disposition to match your "new" office. Kudos to you.

Hugs, Linda.
Kelli Davidson said…
looks like your new job is a good fit! Yay! Also -- go ahead and list that Christmas stuff. I've been selling it steadily all summer and yesterday I sold 3 pretty pricey pieces! good luck on your new job and talk to ya soon!
Marrianna said…
I looked at your link for the “Makerspace” just to see what it is about. If you are the coordinator of that space, yea for you and the makers who use the space. This is a wonderful idea and one I plan to tell a volunteer at our public library about. It’s nice that you have a well lit workspace all for you.

I totally get the exercise challenge. I finally had to make a commitment to either walk 45 minutes daily (boring and lonely) or start doing exercise classes for we mature folks where the ladies have fun and laugh a lot. Very social and still challenging for me. Some of the men and women have been going to the 2 classes I attend for years. I just got started 3 months ago. Every time I want to stay home and isolate with a book and my artwork, I remind myself about the 87 year old with a portable oxygen tank. If she can do it, I can, too.

Write a great song for us and sing it in a video on your blog. We’re waiting.

Marrianna
Janice Smith said…
Laurie, Congratulations on your new job! Out by noon . . . Yipee! You’ll soon adjust to the new schedule. Maybe you could join a gym and go directly there two or three days a week after work. Establish a routine. It would be hard to drag yourself out of the house if you go home first. Exercise can be a good mood enhancer.
Come to think of it, I should stop reading blogs, get off the sofa, and go take my dog for a walk!!! ;-)
Lorraine said…
Congratulations on your new job! Sounds like a lovely place to work. I have the same problem with losing momentum after work. But sometimes I try to tell myself that if I'm napping it's because I need to. My goal is going to try to limit my "computer" time. I find that I get absorbed in catching up and checking out new ideas so much so that I don't take the time to actually use the ideas or things that I've collected to make things with. I don't have an answer for you, but I wish you success in achieving your goal.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

Flagler College in St. Augustine: the Tiffany connection