Pink Saturday at Indulge Your Shelf

There's a long-standing blog party called Pink Saturday; I haven't joined in for years, but today when I looked at the photos I'm about to publish, I knew that I just had to!

One of my favorite films, Pretty in Pink, turns 30 this weekend.  I dragged my husband to a nostalgic screening of it at a local theater for Valentine's Day; what that man won't do for love!
I have had this piece of a vintage beaded gown for years now; it was a gift from a fellow blogger, and I've kept it for just the right project.
This week I auditioned it on the fabric collage I'm working on -- I haven't sewn it down yet but I think I will work a piece of it around at the bottom.  That's about all the creating that has been going on around here this week!
A few months ago I sent my only doll to my niece in California.  The doll belonged to my mother; it's a Horseman doll that she got when she was about 8 years old.  I called it Dorrie when she handed it down to me at about the same age (rhymes with Laurie.)  In this photo, which my niece sent me to show that she arrived safely, the doll is in her original clothes: extremely faded blue dress.
When I sent it to my niece I wasn't able to locate the little dress my grandmother made, above.  This week I found it and mailed it so that the dress and hat (and socks) could be reunited with the doll.
The dress is precious to me because my grandmother sewed it by hand.  I remember we were visiting her one Saturday when I'd just been given the doll and my mother asked her mother if she would make the doll a new dress.  She told me to go to a fabric store and pick out some fabric, and bring it to her and she would make it.  I chose the pink dotted swiss; it was my first time ever to visit a fabric store!  Look what grandma started!  She was also the one who took me thrifting for the first time when I was little.  Before I sent it off, I admired my grandmother's stitches; on the doll's hat, she sewed three rows of lace.  I spent a lot of time with my grandmother when I was a baby, and I have always felt she influenced me greatly.

We are enjoying a burst of "faux" Spring this weekend, with sunny skies and weather forecasts in the 70's.  I intend to spend as much time as possible out of doors!  Have a wonderful weekend!

Linking in to Pink Saturday.

Comments

What fun ideas! Also, what charing baby things. very sweet.
The fabric collage is so romantic but your heirloom doll captured my heart. How wonderful another generation will enjoy her charm.

Debra

Your pink beaded fabric is wonderful
I have a beaded piece a 99 year old lady gave me once from one of her evening gowns
I want to use it in a fabric collage, which yours are always so pretty
Kathy said…
Laurie, I loved reading this post. My maternal Grandmother was a great influence on me, as well, and you brought back some fond memories.
Rika said…
charming things, I love the doll.
thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth