Thrift store finds, some sewing, and pretty petals

You know what they say: When the going gets tough, the tough go thrifting.  Or something like that.  All I know is that when I need a break, I find nothing more relaxing than treasure hunting at the junk store.
 Here's what I came home with this time: a pink poodle box of vintage cards...
 it was irresistible to me because I actually remember getting this exact same bunny rabbit card when I was about 6 years old, from an aunt.
 Then, there were these little gift tags.  I've seen Christmas tags in that size and shape, but don't recall seeing birthday or wedding tags before.
Remember when the fanciest of cards were sprinkled with glitter? 
The little doggie cards took me on a sentimental journey, what can I say?
Then, in the textiles section of the shop: I had just been admiring some similar vintage fabric on eBay, so when I saw this pretty white tea/table cloth I had to snatch it up...
 as well as these lovely placemats; their small size makes them just right for journal covers.
 And look at this bright scarf with hand rolled edges and the large Vera signature.  If you've never visited their website to help you date your Vera products, it's here.  According to it, this scarf dates to 1970-73.
 Above, as I was sorting through strips of fabric for a rag wreath I'm planning to make, I threw these scraps to the side and then I couldn't bear to toss them so I sewed them together haphazardly, just for fun.  It's really hard for me to throw pretty things away, no matter how small a scrap!
No plans yet for the little block.
I must say I do prefer the casual scrapping of my little block to the studied, carefully-planned crazy quilt style block I'm making in Kathy's class, above, which is accomplished with templates and lots and lots of directions!  I am definitely not a precision person.  That is not to say that I'm not enjoying learning the proper way to crazy quilt -- because I really really am enjoying it -- and I highly recommend the class!
The other day I got out the Coffee filter flower kit that was one of the sponsor gifts at the last Birdsong event I attended.  It was made by Heather Kowalski, who is a lovely, friendly, talented person.  The one on the left is the sample, and I made the one on the right using the kit, which had coffee filters dyed in various shades of the most beautiful pink hues!
So that's what I've been up to lately.  How about you?  What are you finding/making/doing?

Comments

Kathy said…
Greeting cards with glitter - those were the days!!!
I really love the old greeting cards, such great graphics! Love the little square you made such pretty little snippets.


Looks like good thriftng to me

I started a crazy quilt block, one block about 6 years ago LOL it's all velvet and silks

you work is always so charming
Lovely vintage finds and those coffee filter flowers are beautiful! I've been busy with swaps, making custom any occasion hearts and when I'm done with those, I want to create for myself. I've been in the process of creating an album of the Elizabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island in NC. That album has been neglected for so long. :(
HI Laurie! I love all of your finds and you did SO GOOD on your filter flower! Now you can whip them up whenever you want. so glad you liked making it. :) :)

xoxo
Heather
Anonymous said…
I so want to go to a thrift shop for a fix but we don't have one close and with our iffy weather I think it will be awhile before I make it out of town for thrifting. You found some really good items. I too am taking Kathy's class. I've been ready for a week to start the silk ribbon part but keep putting it off. I love that you are sewing your bits and pieces together for a book. Hugs!
Abby / Linda said…
I'm taking Kathy's CQ class too, but I was disappointed that you weren't in my group.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth