Happy Creative Year 2017!

I, like so many others, am so  happy that a new year has begun.  But maybe for different reasons than most; I don't blame 2016 for the "bad" things that have happened during it, but I did experience a lot of personal loss during it and am thankful it is behind us.
Our Christmas was lovely!  We had a yummy dinner with family and close friends, and relaxed and enjoyed the day.  Look at our tree -- it has ONLY lights this year, because of the kittens.  (They still climbed it!)




I love this Santa T-shirt I bought for Ben -- it makes me laugh!  We binge-watched TV together and chilled (literally!) during the whole Christmas week.  It was lovely!
New Year's Eve was all about comfort food...
and games...
 and cuddling with the kittens!
Rebecca and I made New Year's Day a craft day; which is becoming somewhat of a tradition.  I think it's a good one!
I worked on a couple of things that I will use to decorate my new work space -- if I get the permanent job that I've been working at as a temporary since the end of November.  Wish me luck -- the panel interview for it is this Thursday!
I chose "living the dream" as a phrase to motivate me this year.  I decoupaged an antique French ledger page and a bit of text from my favorite novel; these things make me happy!
I decoupaged this tray using a variety of vintage papers; it is lined with the art work that I created at a class in October.  In the center: a name tag made by a talented friend a few years ago that I have been saving because I think it's so pretty!  I wish I knew how to do lettering like that!


I love this tray...I think it would be so cheery on my desk!

On the bottom, a really great vintage page from a business book; it shows how to correctly address envelopes back in the day.  Isn't that fun?
I was able to resist most of the after-Christmas sales this year -- except for the ones at thrift stores!  I found some very fun stuff -- like these Holt Howard candle holders!  Aren't they sweet?
Most of all, I enjoyed spending time with Ben.  Dennis and I continue to adjust to the empty nest as well as can be expected -- but I can't tell you how much happiness he brought us by spending the holiday season at home!
I hope your holidays were peaceful and happy, too!  I'm looking forward to having a creative new year, all year.  I hope you do, too, and that you keep visiting me on my little blog during it!

Comments

Linda said…
Happy New Year Laurie...how creative you are. Love the "living the dream" artwork, and your letter tray is so pretty and original. Truth be told, I would have snatched those candle holders also. You always seem to find really great stuff.

Here's wishing you good fortune in acing the upcoming interview.

Cheers, Linda.
Fingers crossed for the job. Looks like you had a fabulous Christmas. Relaxing is a very good thing. And doing a little something creative every day definitely is good for the soul. Take care! Wishing you and yours all the best in 2017.
Unknown said…
I love all the pictures!!! Such a perfect craft day too!! And the ham.....
Such beautiful creations, Laurie. Looks like you all had a wonderful celebration.
Wishing you and your family the very best in the new year.
Hi Laurie

Looks like you had a very nice Christmas.
Sorry you are still dealing with the empty nest, That is why people have lots kids LOL Its nice when they all leave LOL
It's hard when you only have one child

Of course you are starting off creating some of your neat art work

Anyway ready to start another fun year of blogging

Happy New Year
Marrianna said…
Thanks so much, Laurie, for the wonderful photos of you and your family and friends during this Christmas season. I don't know where the temp job is or what you are doing, however, if it is what you want for a full-time gig, I hope you get it. Christmas was VERY quiet at my house. We got a foot of snow on Christmas Eve so I stayed home on Christmas. Good thing I didn't have any plans. It was all fine with me. I think I spent a good part of the day reading a novel. I couldn't get comfortable enough to read while I had the back brace for 3 months so no reading and no needlework, except a little at the sewing machine. The new year is here, the back brace is off, and I really want to get into the sewing room. I'm behind on sewing quilt blocks for a sampler project through our quilt store. I want to get those caught up. And maybe try some other sewing stuff. And cleaning/organizing.
Merry Christmas
Happy New Year

Marrianna

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth