Crafting inspiration on the cheap: thrift store finds

As I carefully venture for short, safe trips into a thrift shop or two, I have re-discovered the way they are great resources for trying out some new crafts!  For example, for the past couple of years I've been wanting to try that long-ago art of macrame, as it's coming back into style.  I used to have fun with it in the 1970's!  I purchased this little hanging just for inspiration:

Although I probably wouldn't do a square frame, I like how the crafter tied the knots simply to make a design, and then of course hung the different fibers from the bottom.  I have had a really hard time finding the correct kind of cording to use for macrame--even online.  Finally, yesterday at a thrift shop, I came across this huge spool of red cord!

I think it will be great for Christmas macrame, don't you?  I'm excited.
Then, something I've always wanted to try is needle felting.  Not wanting to begin collecting a lot of supplies, though, I never took the plunge but then last week at a thrift shop, what should I find but these small "beginner" needlefelting kits!  One makes a flat flower "postcard" and one makes a round owl head...
Then you can graduate to a little rabbit.  Simple tools, supplies and instructions.  They look easy enough even for me!

I understand that needlefelting is great for working off anger and irritation -- you just stab, stab and stab!

What new crafts are you trying these days?



Comments

Lorraine said…
Great finds and perfect for trying something before jumping all in.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

Flagler College in St. Augustine: the Tiffany connection