Time marches on

I know it's almost September already, but I was still surprised to all the Christmas items in the store at Hobby Lobby today!  It really got me in the holiday crafting mood.


I didn't buy any, but have enjoyed seeing the burlap everything in the store -- these rolls of  "ribbon" were on sale today.

My trip to Hobby Lobby was part of a day out with my husband: first a trip to the indoor pool to swim laps, then a late breakfast, then a thrift store, then the craft store, and lastly a stop at Dairy Queen before heading home to sit on the patio for a while.  The house still feels quiet and empty, but I'm feeling better than I was last week.  Thank you for all the kind comments and sympathy. Change can be hard.



I had a little fun at work this past week when I volunteered to help with our company's talent show, Broadmoor Night Live.  It was done as a take-off on Saturday Night Live, with similar skits between the various acts.  I have many talented coworkers!  Most of the acts were singers, but there were also 2 dancers and one stand-up comedienne.  It's so nice to work for a company that still takes the time to arrange these kinds of activities for employees.


I have been de-stashing all summer long, and also refraining from "junking"; I've missed my favorite hobby but I have SO. MUCH. STUFF that it's a little bit like shopping when I go through it and discover all kinds of things I've forgotten I had.  And I've purged a lot but still have more to go.  The other day when I was filling box number 8 or so, I pulled out a few things that I will be listing in my Etsy shop.  Like this cute Barbie doll clothes pattern.


Also, this really great Taylor & Ng, San Francisco penguin cookie jar that I'm finally able to part with.  It's from the 80's and I've owned and loved it since the 90's.  Now it's looking for a new home.

I'm not feeling especially motivated to work on my poor little abandoned Etsy shop -- not because I don't love it (I do) but just because my work week is so long that I'm just too tired most of the time!  But I would really like to get some of my Christmas kitsch sold before the holidays this year so I'm going to make an effort.

How about you?  How are your online sales going?  Any holiday crafting/sales plans?

In other news, I am no longer an Examiner.  That's right, after 5 years, Examiner.com fired me.  I haven't been writing more than one article a month for a while now and they want more active writers.  I didn't expect them to let me go like that, though, and I'm a little bit miffed that they sent me an email from their Legal Department informing me of this decision.  It's not going to break the bank, though -- I only earned ~$5 a month for the all those articles I wrote as Colorado Springs Antique and Thrift Shopping Examiner, which you can still read here -- at least until they take down my page.  Hmph.

Comments

Kathy said…
The Broadmoor sounds like such a fun place to work! I had the pleasure of visiting once and it is remarkable. Happy to hear you are feeling better and looking forward to seeing you get back in to your Etsy!
Glad you're feeling better. It sounds like you and the hubs had a really nice day, and the talent show sounds like fun!

I've made lots of Barbie clothes in my day and have quite a few patterns, but that Barbie pattern is one I've not seen before. Cute!
Marrianna said…
So glad to read that you are feeling better. And that you have been decluttering your house and getting ready to list all those treasures on Etsy. No, I still haven't gotten anything listed on Etsy. I'm writing that down as a goal this week: List 3 of my photos for digital downloads and 3 listings for the handmade books. I can only hope. I have supplies that can be sold and some fintage items that can probably be listed and sold. I have way more "stuff" than I need or that is bringing me joy and pleasure. Time to let some things go to somebody else.

Thanks for the post and the photos. The entertainment event looks like it was a lot of fun.

Marrianna
Maggie said…
Hi there, dear Laurie! Whew, you've had a lot going on lately!!, and I've just caught up with some of your recent posts. Sorry to hear about your well-loved dog's passing--that alone is an adjustment. But top that with your son leaving, plus your starting a new job...that's A LOT to deal with! (Hope you are loving your new job--the setting is awesome!)

Hope your son is enjoying college life. I know what it is like to have an only child leave the nest--that one kid who has basically been the center of your universe for 18 years, suddenly not in the midst of your daily life. Add in worrying about HIS happiness and fitting in, in a new place--and it is overwhelming. But gradually you ease into the new routine, as does he, and you manage somehow.

But when they've had that taste of independence, and then come home,even for a short vacation, the dynamic reallllly changes! I just have to keep reminding myself what I was like at that age, and that helps when things get frustrating. My daughter has decided to move back to Oregon after her two years in Kansas. She starts at Portland State University in a few weeks, and is living back at home. We are trying to figure out how to live under the same roof again, and not want to tear each other's hair out!! I gotta give this "chapter" some time, too...and hopefully it will get easier.

Ahh, life. A day at a time.

Take care!
Maggie
Linda said…
Hi Laurie, glad to see you taking time from your busy schedule to post....and life goes on, just a little different manner when you're an empty-nester. Love your enthusiasm and your motivation to declutter. That time, once more, for me also. I think the "stuff" grows when I close the door on my crafting room!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth