Modern Stitching at Art & Soul

I enjoyed myself at the Modern Stitching class I took last month; it was the only one I got to attend at the Colorado Springs Art & Soul Retreat.  Taught by Ruth Chandler, it followed her book on the same subject.
There were only four of us in the class, which went on for two nights, 3 hours each evening.  We were working on a book of stitches, which I've always wanted to do, and we went stitch by stitch through a whole bunch of them.  I already knew many, but it had been a while since I'd done them.

We weren't able to complete the entire book in class, and I am looking forward to finishing it on my own.  It was so relaxing to learn from Ruth...
and I got a lot of inspiration for using some of the stitches in the future on my fabric collages!  I never know how to go about with "free style"-ing stitches, but Ruth had tons of examples for us to admire:

She had some beautiful, high quality threads and fibers for us to try; I fell in love with some of the silk ones!

My favorite stitch of all we did was "ricing" -- I could just do that all day!
As much as I loved my class, I have to say it was very expensive.  In addition to the 6 hour class costing $150, I had to pay a $25 materials fee, as well as a $50 registration fee to the Retreat.  Personally, I think the registration fee should be waived for people who take just one (or two) courses out of all that are available.  The event wasn't well-publicized locally and it would 've made a huge impact if it had been.  I understand it was held here last year as well, and, as plugged-in as I am to this art community, I didn't hear about it!  It will be held next year here, too, so there's time to plan and make improvements.

Comments

This looks like a wonderful class. I saw something about the Colorado Springs Art and Soul in a Somerset publication a few months ago, but when I looked online I could only find info on A&S events in other cities. I'm fairly persistent with my online searches, so thought it was a bit strange that I couldn't locate the info. Perhaps there's a web site or search engine glitch somewhere.
Would seem for that price that all materials should be included. I do love the look of slow stitching such as kantha and sashiko but have yet to give it a go.
Marrianna said…
Beautiful stitching. I’ve been to retreats in Scottsdale, AZ, in the “high” summer, and, yes, it is super expensive. I bet you enjoyed everything at the event. I was able to attend a retreat 10 years ago that was 3 days, only 1 teacher, D.J. Pettitt, in Los Gatos, CA. It was fantastic and the location was marvelous. Sadly, the retreat host had to stop holding the retreats because fewer students would attend. And at the time I had saved enough money to attend a 5-day event. I’m glad you went. I love the silk flowers that you stitched. You did some beautiful work.

Popular posts from this blog

Enter to Win My Two (2) Giveaways for One World, One Heart!

One World, One Heart 2011

True Victorian style: black glass buttons