Rag tag snow days

Look what I made: a rag wreath.  I've never made one before but I found these wire forms at the thrift shop, new old stock.  I had some strips of fabric that I had cut up long ago for weaving projects.
 I used all of the light colored ones in the wreath -- plus, I added in some neutral and pale pink and blue prints here and there for color.  It still needs a trim and a fluff here and there.
Can you imagine how many knots I had to tie to make it?
It goes nicely with my display of soft neutrals.
And one can never have too many wreaths, I always say.
 I know it's not anywhere near Christmas anymore, but I found this large (used) gift tag at an antique store and I had to have it.
 The seller had cards in a basket, 3 for $2, so I also chose:
 a couple of greeting cards.
 This one had such cute graphics, and included a song sheet inside.
 The bunny rabbit one is really interesting; see that window with the rabbit in mylar?  Well, when you pull on the left edge tab, the rabbit's face and ears move as if it's a flip book or something.
My favorite part was David's signature.
 I love this era of graphics (above) -- I think these were meant to be cupcake toothpicks.  Probably for an office party, don't you think?  I wish I'd found them a few weeks sooner...
 As I do this beautiful, hanging "waterfall" Valentine greeting.  The components are shaped like leaves and strung together with a pink silk ribbon.  I'm not in love with the courtly couple in the first two leaves, but I adore the girl and the fairy, as well as the prose.
 This one is my favorite.  The embossing overall is just lovely.
And since everything in the booth was half-priced, it was a bargain.
 In the same sale booth, I was intrigued by this cash register drawer.  I saw a shelf unit.
In particular, I think it would be a fun display for paper, such as piles of tags which are about the right size to fit under the clamps where the bills would normally go.  And then the coin sections could hold small antique items.  I just need to find a way to hang it; maybe as simple as a ribbon all around the outside that ties at the top.
I was trying to explain this to the lady at the antique store.  It was one of those times I got the look.  You know the look I'm talking about.
It's not as bad as Boston or Maine, but we have been getting our share of snow, ice and low temperatures here in Colorado.  In fact, it feels like it's never going to stop. 
The other day, just before another storm rolled in, I was out running errands and decided to stop by an estate sale, where the only thing I found was this sunny little card box...
 but there were no cards inside.  Instead, this pile of goodies and a thank you card.
The estate sale was at the home of a woman who was a higher up in the Avon business, and this gift was from one of the sales people she managed.  There were boxes and boxes of Avon products, too.  Not surprisingly, they weren't moving out the door.
 The butterfly is a pin, and the mitten and gloves are just decorations.  All are made from felt with lots of fancy beading and detail.
 I love how the glove and mitten have back detail, too!  The glove opens like a glove (almost) and might actually be a glasses, or cigarette, sleeve.
I don't know if all the gifts went together, but I can imagine this chiffony yellow scarf with plastic bead wrap being worn with the blue butterfly, can't you?
On a spring day.  In the warm sun.
Yeah, I have the snowy February blues!

Comments

Love your wreath and your fun finds, especially the little card box full of treasures!
Kathy said…
So happy the new jobs allows time for crafting and estate sales. The blue felt glove is a great find!
Anonymous said…
I love your wreaths and you found some neat things while thrifting! We are gearing up for a weekend of snow in Kansas. Stay warm!
The wreath is so pretty. I haven't ever made one either, but it does look easy. Love the estate sale finds!
Linda said…
Good idea for the cash register drawer. And, yes, I DO know 'that' look. I simply reply to that look with "it's not what it is, but what it could be". You just know that the person is now thinking "Ummmm....". Nice pickings Laurie.

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth