Sitting pretty, again

Here's the second garden chair I put together the other day. This one was literally a $1 chair I bought at a garage sale. It used to have a cane seat but that was gone when I got it. Here's how I did it (clockwise from top left photo - click on the photo for a closer view):


First I cleaned the chair with Orange Glo wood cleaner. When it was clean I realized how pretty and still in great shape it was; I decided right then that I wasn't going to drive nails into it or paint it like I did my last one. You can still make a lovely decoration, for indoors or out, without making any permanent changes.

Next I took a nice round grapevine wreath and used wire to attach it to the chair through the holes that already existed from the caning.

Then, I took a silverplate bowl that I had mosaic'd and attached it over the wreath. It worked out well because the bowl was already pierced around the edges so I could put the wire through it and then through the wreath. The bowl can hold several 4" pots of flowers or it can act as an undersaucer for a larger pot. It can even be a birdbath!

I had a small birdhouse that I drilled a hole in at the base so I could attach it to the chair, too. I decided to spray paint it red. Then I attached it to the front of the chair and decorated it with a tiny, heart-shaped grapevine wreath.

Then all that was left to do was wire some red silk geraniums and filler leaves to the back of the chair. I added a small painted shovel, too.

Last but not least, I found a sweet antique needlepoint with a bright red bird and attached it to the chair back with raffia.

I hope you enjoyed this "repeat" blog post; it originally appeared here on April 27, 2009!

Comments

That is so charming and would look great on someone front wrap around porch or in an entry hall , or really anywhere . Do did a great job
Sami said…
Who would have thought a chair could look so pretty? Great job.
Kathy said…
You've got me when you give it a birdie theme!
Wow! Who woulda' thunk it?!!! This is so creative and I love that you've preserved the original integrity of the chair ~ which opens even more possibilities! xoxo, Karen
Linda said…
Great way to recycle something that looks done for. Beautiful chair!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth