Happy new year and back up your blog!

Happy new year, friends.  It's a good day to back up your blog, if you have one.  If you use Blogger like I do, it's so easy:
  • From your Dashboard, click on Settings
  • Under Settings, click on Other
  • At the top of that page, you will see three choices -- one of them is Export your blog.  Click on that.
  • You will see a window with an orange Download Blog button; when you click on that you will download your whole blog in Blogger Atom export format.  Keep that file and you will be able to restore your blog if something awful were to happen to it.
I'm sure there's an easy way to do it using other providers, too.  You should do it right now. 
It's a good time to back up all the rest of your important stuff, too.  'Most especially photos.  I always feel terrible when I hear about people losing their hard drives and all of their photos were on it.  If you don't already back up your photos to the web, then take a few minutes to burn them onto a CD (or two) now!
If you have time, look over your past year's photos and choose the best ones to print out for your paper scrapbooks, too.
I can't tell you how much I loved having you all visit and read my blog in 2012.  I enjoy the conversation and community so much.  It's great to be able to connect with people who "get" me, my art, my obsession with vintage-everything, etc.  You have all become so important to me!
You are always so supportive and often say nice things about my projects.  Sometimes some of you say things like, "You're so talented" or, "Everything you make is wonderful" but, of course, it's not always true.  I have as many false starts as finished products -- I just don't usually put photos of them on my blog.
 Just for fun, I thought I would show you something I made the other day that just didn't work out.
It was supposed to look like this: a project from Christmas Ideas magazine (above). 
Instead, it came out like this.  I didn't have any fawn-colored felt so I used a brick red color.  Not a good substitution -- what was I thinking?  My blanket stitches look so sloppy.  And somehow, the little deer came out fat.  It took forever, too. I was so disappointed!
I hope my little lopsided deer failure makes you smile today!  I'll be sending it to live on to the Island of Misfit Toys.
Now, don't forget to back up and, happy new year!

Comments

andrea creates said…
it did make me smile :)

happy new year to you~
Dee in N.H. said…
Your little deer did make me smile! I think he would be cute on your holiday tree. I'm sure he would bring you a smile too.
EvalinaMaria said…
Happy New Year to you too! Thanks for the remainder about backups.
Kathy said…
The story of your little deer made me laugh. I have the sadest little dyed-by-me pink bottle brush tree sitting here on my desk. I kept going and I added the glitter and I glued on the vintage glass bells and no matter what I did it just wouldn't be what was inside my head. At least it looks vintage - in a grunge sort of way!
I think you might still be able to rescue your little deer with a wreath and some sparkle around his neck. Or not.
Lisa said…
Oh Laurie ~ you made me laugh! All that sweet deer needs is some embellishment and nobody will notice he's not perfect.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has things go south.
Happy New Year!
autena said…
Aw, I always have a soft spot for those misfits! Happy New Year and thank so, so much for the blog back-up tip. I had no idea that could be done(not that I would know how to restore it, but I'll wait until that time comes!).
Linda Sue said…
Excuse me Laurie, but your little brick coloured fawn is fabulous! People do stitching that way on purpose and it so works! Yours is not even close to a mistake! It is adorable and like EVERYTHING you do- it is endearing and lovely.
BTW, your christmas crepe paper,tart decoration clear envelope thing was the hit of my christmas! Everyone that came to the house LOVED it VERY MUCH!
Lorraine said…
Thanks for the smile today! Happy New Year to you and yours! I think maybe you could use that little misfit for an Easter project. It looks a little like a jackalope. My computer is acting a little skittish lately and I've been meaning to do just what you've suggested. Thanks for the little push.
Unknown said…
Actually, he is adorable. I have really enjoyed your blog. Happy New Year.
Linda said…
It's good to start the year with a laugh. AI tried-years ago-to do some stuffed animals and they were so lopsided you couldn't tell what they were. Never again. He does look like a reindeer, aure you'll think of some way to fix him.
Unknown said…
Back up is a great idea. I got a nasty computer virus around this time last year and it set me out of commission for a while! Thanks for the tip. Funny enough about your deer, My son has a red and white one similar shaped with some print on it from Starbucks a few years ago. So hey, just add some trims and love him anyway ;)
Unknown said…
Happy New Year Laurie.
Sharon Morrison said…
Now that little deer is sweet. Add a bow, maybe some glitter, and hang him in your work room to remind you there is only one perfect person. The Amish, I am told, always make a mistake on their quilts because God is the only perfect maker.
Happy New Year.

I have my blog up again;
wwwsharonssnippets.blogspot.com
Tammy said…
The little red deer is cute!
Happy New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth