I made another one

If I could, I would make them all day, every day.  More of my favorite vintage fabrics...
and I just go a little crazy, layering them.  This one has pieces of a sheer hankie (lily of the valley motif), and new, old stock lace and trim.
Of course, I have to get out and play with my buttons.
And, now I'm going to make you look at every single page!
I hope you don't mind!
This little bit of ribbon has a story behind it...I found it about 20 years ago in a bag of sewing notions and have always loved it.  Many years ago, I glued it into a little ballerina collage I made, and then I put the collage in a shop to sell.  Another vendor saw it, and said, "That is a beautiful piece of old ribbon work.  I collect ribbon work." And then she shook her head in disgust.  "What a waste" she sneered.  I have often thought she could have been gentler in her admonition. 
When I make these, I don't worry about rips, tears, stains, or perfect stitches.
I try to create little pockets, for slipping things into...
and highlight pretty details.
When I'm working on these little books, I feel happy that I save old fabrics the way I do.
I went a little crazy with the vintage seam binding...

do you think it's too much?
Here's the back page.  I have a hard time parting with these, but I have determined to put it in my handmade Etsy shop, Leaves and Lace.

Comments

Kathy said…
Oh so sweet!! What a fun way to use the little bits and pieces. Have you thought of submitting this to Sew Somerset?
Unknown said…
I love all the blue fabrics they are so sweet. It is hard not to feel weird after someone makes a comment like that. Other people should understand it is your property though, and you might consider it a "waste" for it to sit in a drawer somewhere as part of a "collection" that no one sees or enjoys, and then gets passed on to a child or relative who cares nothing for it and it ends up tossed out as "junk". Don't let people like that bother you, you are making beautiful things that make others and YOU happy!
Tami Hacker said…
Laurie,

I love it... your textile book is so precious!

I agree with Kathy & Pam's comment above... submit it to Sew Somerset and keeping making beautiful things to make YOU and others happy!

Hugs, Tami
love, love, love these little treasures! mini masterpieces! love the vintage ribbon and shame on that grouch for scolding! and I don't think the seam binding is too much....i can never have enough of that!
xox
Sew sweet , I love how you put all little bits & pieces together.

The rude old lady wishes she has this , I am sure LOL

I have suit case full of , KEEP lace and then a suit case full of USE lace , I just need to use some of it instead of thinking about using it
Wendy said…
Your book is just wonderful and so sweet! Don't you wish people would follow the golden rule of "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"! I am glad to see that you still follow your muse and allow your creative side to speak to you! These would be hard to part with!
Jean said…
Just lovely! This is so my style...oh I want one and make one too...can you do a general tut for us? Thank you for your inspirations! HugZ, Jean
Linda said…
love the book, love your style, what a great idea.
Susan said…
I agree that it would be great to have a tutorial. I would love to make something like this but don't know where to start. I love that you saved that special little piece of ribbon. I save odd pieces of things sometimes because I can't bear to put them in the trash. I should be creating something with them. Thanks for showing your pretty book.
Lorraine said…
Oh, Laurie, those little books are fabulous treasures!! What a great way to use all your lovely bits. Thanks for the kind words re my tendonitis...and I actually was using some lace from your matchbox last night! It was perfect! Have a great weekend! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥
Vintage Jane said…
I just love these sooo much. You are so talented. M x
Unknown said…
so, so pretty and sweet....

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth