Tea Cup Birdhouses

I've had this idea forever, and finally put it all together yesterday!  It's amazing what a couple of days of sunshine in a row will do for you.

I bought a couple of weather beaten porch railings from a junk store last Fall and had my husband saw them into pieces.  Yesterday, I hauled them out and painted them.


I had to mix this green color myself, and it turned out pretty well, if I do say so!  After the railing was dry, I screwed in a tiny drawer pull; it's plastic, but looks a bit like glass.

I glued one end to a vintage saucer, and the other end to a vintage cup.

Then, I decorated the bottom of the cup, which is the "roof" of the birdhouse, with some vintage buttons.

Here's the finished piece:

Then while I was at it, I made some more in different colors:

My husband thinks they're funny-looking.  Well, maybe they're not so conventional.  But, I like them!  I'm listing them in my handmade Etsy shop, Twice Shy Restored.

Tonight, we are finally going out for that twice-postponed Mother's Day dinner.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Enjoy your Mother's Day dinner.
Interesting project. I had done something with the same materials and had a totally different look.
Angela said…
These are fantastic, Laurie! You are so creative! I really like the green one! :o)
Ragamuffin Gal said…
Pure Genius Laurie ~ I love them! I predict they will fly off your etsy shelves. I especially love the little crystal knob addition.

And thanks for your uplifting comment today ~ it mean't a lot dear! Have a blessed week!~k
Lisa said…
Laurie,
I love your blog so much! So much eye candy to swoon over. Just checked out both of your shops too. Love your embellished tags & pillows. Very cool. The birdhouses, very clever & cute. BTW, my foot fetish is all in fun, no judging I promise! LOL Lisa
Thanks for dropping by and entering my giveaway at By the Hill..
Love your blog, will be coming back. Great birdhouses.....too sweet!
Deborah said…
They're beautiful! What a great idea!
Malisa said…
You are busy creating some great things! I am going to check out your Etsy shop...even though you don't have nuns with guns! :) By the way, those weren't bridesmaids in that photo...those were debutants doing their "deep bow" during their presentations! I'm still waiting for someone to help me up! :)
Unknown said…
I think they are really fun and inspired....I love repurposing things and you are really good at it!
Jingle said…
I think these are really fun! I made a little tea cup bird feeder for my mom over the weekend, but it was much simpler than your fancy design!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Jesus Candy Cane Christmas Ornament How-To

O Christmas tree, jeweled Christmas tree...

My Christmas craft booth